77th Annual Awards will honor the best storytelling
1. The Peabody Awards honor a diverse range of stories across television, radio/podcast, and digital media. Print media and major theatrical releases are not eligible.
2. All stories must have aired or been released between January 1, 2017, and December 31, 2017. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for approval before submitting limited theatrical releases or documentaries appearing at film festivals outside these time parameters.
3. We recommend that producing individuals and network/platform companies consult each other prior to submission to avoid duplicating entries. Duplicate entries will be considered only one time and there will be no refund of fees.
4. International submissions are eligible. Please see section below on International Entries.
Submission System and Deadlines
December 15, 2017
Early Deadline for Submissions (lower entry fee, see below)
January 10, 2018
Final Deadline for Submissions
Nominees and Winners Announcements
May 19, 2018
77th Annual Peabody Awards Ceremony in New York City
Entry Fees and Payment
Submissions completed and entered by December 15, 2017 (Early Deadline)
· Radio and Podcast: $225 USD flat rate for each individual entry
· Television and Interactive: $350 USD flat rate for each individual entry
Submissions completed and entered between December 16, 2017-January 12, 2018
· Radio and Podcast: $275 USD flat rate for each individual entry
· Television and Interactive: $400 USD flat rate for each individual entry
Fees may be paid via credit card in the submission system. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express. For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Entry Formats and Award Categories
A single program is limited to one category of entry. Please do not submit your program in more than one category. While we understand that there may be some overlap in subject matter, please submit your program in the area you feel best fits the content.
First, entrants will identify the format in which the program aired or was released: (1) Radio or Podcast; (2) Television/Video (e.g. broadcast, streaming, OTT, etc.); or (3) Interactive /Web (e.g. digital, virtual reality, etc.)
Entrants will then select one of these award categories:
· News: Includes spot coverage, reporting, investigation, interpretation and commentary on news events. Breaking news coverage can be submitted as a compilation reel but should include the first newscast when the coverage began.
· Entertainment: Regularly scheduled and/or special programs characterized by excellence in the presentation of drama, comedy, music, the performing arts, variety, sports, etc.
· Documentary: In-depth examination of local, national, or international issues and/or of contemporary or historic events.
· Children’s Programming: Series and special programs or projects primarily intended for an audience of children (2-11) or youth (12-17).
· Public Service: One-time or continuing projects that address or respond to an important public problem or issue, or demonstrate creative and effective use of media to enhance teaching and learning.
Please note that for the 77th Annual Awards, there is no longer a separate Education category. Entrants should submit those programs in the Public Service category.
We do not accept public entries for our distinguished Individual and Institutional annual winners.
What to Submit for Consideration
Applications, media materials, and entry payment must be submitted online through the Peabody Awards Submission System. Below are guidelines on episodes or stories to submit. We strongly discourage applicants from submitting platforms for consideration.
1. Single episode or standalone themed programming under a larger brand
e.g., This American Life: Anatomy of Doubt (episode 581); Latino USA: Gangs, Murder, and Migration in Honduras
Submit a single episode or thematic edition of the series as an individual entry.
2. Narrative Series
e.g., Serial; The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel
Submit all episodes from the single season that appeared in the 2017 calendar year as one entry.
3. News programming
e.g., Wells Fargo Hurts Whistleblowers (NPR News)
Submit a single story in its entirety. If the story involved continuing coverage, applicants may submit one file comprised of extensive excerpts, which best represent the evolution of the story.
1. Entertainment series
Submit all episodes from a single season that appeared in the 2017 calendar year as one entry.
2. Documentary film
e.g., O.J.: Made in America; POV: Hooligan Sparrow; MAVIS!; Independent Lens: Trapped
Submit each film in its entirety as one entry.
3. News programming, local or national
Submit a single story in its entirety. If the story involved continuing coverage, applicants may submit one file comprised of extensive excerpts following a complete initial episode, which best represent the evolution of the story.
4. News series, single episode under a larger brand
e.g., Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: The Killing Fields
Submit a single episode as an individual entry.
Interactive / Web Programming
Submissions in this category should be online or digital storytelling produced with user interactivity in mind (e.g., websites, apps, social media, trans-media distribution). Typically for apps and virtual reality, the more successful programs will have a broader public accessibility.
Entrants should keep in mind that websites without an interactive or creative component in the distribution of content will not be competitive.
Submitters must supply Peabody Awards with at least one unit of any necessary equipment to experience the content (e.g.: Samsung phone, Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, etc.). The equipment will be returned once the awards season is complete (normally June 2018). Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Technical Requirements for Materials
· Video: MP4 - 1080p SD or HD, H.264 preferred
· Audio: MP3
· Images: PNG (preferred), JPG, JPEG, GIF, TIF, TIFF
· Documents: PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPS, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, RTF
Individual files up to 20 GB each will be accepted. Please be aware that it may take some time for the file to upload, especially if you are on an internet connection with limited bandwidth.
If you have a file for submission that is not one of the types listed and are unable to change the format, please contact email@example.com for assistance. All honorees will be contacted for broadcast quality footage after the winners are announced.
Files should be uploaded individually and not as a zipped file.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Entrants who are working on uploads MUST SAVE the files to the application and CANNOT work on part of the application in another browser window and CANNOT move onto another page. If multiple users are submitting information in the application at the same time, your changes WILL NOT be saved and you will be required to start again.
Entrants do not have to upload all files in one sitting. Be sure to regularly save your work on the application page where you upload and save files. You will be able to return to this page to make changes or additional uploads at a later point without losing your changes.
Peabody welcomes international submissions in all categories. Programs must be subtitled or dubbed in English to ensure our ability to give the piece full consideration. Transcripts and translations are not accepted.