2019 NomineesIn April 2020, the Peabody Awards Board of Jurors selected 60 nominees representing the most compelling and empowering stories released in electronic media during 2019. Each year, nominees are chosen from approximately 1,300 entries across news, entertainment, documentary, children's, public service, and web/interactive programming. From this group, 30 programs are chosen to receive the coveted award.
- A Different Kind of Force: Policing Mental Illness
2019 Centered in San Antonio and Houston, this one-hour documentary brings compassion and care to the story of how local law enforcement handles people with mental illness...Read More »
- Gangster Capitalism: The College Admissions Scandal
The first season of the podcast mixes sterling and deep journalistic investigation with thoughtful framing analysis to explore 2019's college admissions...Read More »
- Independent Lens: HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING
2019 If John Coltrane's Alabama stands as one of the most iconic artistic expressions capturing the mournful horrors and tragedies of Civil Rights-era Alabama...Read More »
- Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (if you're a girl)
The story of a skateboarding camp and school for girls in Afghanistan, Carol Dysinger's delightful film empathetically charts the young skaters as they...Read More »
- Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel: Raced to Death—The Plight of the American Thoroughbred
Hard-hitting and important account of the high incidence of racehorse deaths and their poor treatment in the United States.Read More »
- True Justice: Bryan Stevenson's Fight for Equality
2019 True Justice: Bryan Stevenson's Fight for Equality is a portrait of the life and legal defense work of attorney Bryan Stevenson in representing the incarcerated...Read More »
- Wednesday, May 6: Nominees press release.
- Monday, June 8: Cicely Tyson: Career Achievement Award press release.
- Wednesday, June 10: Peabody Award Winners press release.